Okay, I know I shared my feelings about Whole30 last week, and they weren’t all positive… but I honesty really did enjoy putting together compliant meals. It’s not as hard when you’re solely thinking about it as a stand alone dinner, instead of a whole month of eating. ? But a Whole30 Chicken Taco Bowl?! I can make that happen, no PROBLEMO.
I’m a big fan of making salsa chicken, and it’s even easier during the week to pop it in your crock pot. Since I knew I wouldn’t be adding beans or grains to this dinner, I bulked up the chicken by adding a half a pepper and half an onion to the pot. Honestly, they melted into the shredded chicken so much that I should have added more! I actually changed this recipe to include a whole pepper and onion because I’m that confident it would be awesome. You could add even more if you want to! So yum!
To avoid grains, I used cauliflower rice… and the key for me is seasoning. I got the frozen kind from Whole Foods, so I just had to heat it up in a pan with a little olive oil! Season with salt, pepper, lime juice and red pepper flakes. You could even stir some chopped cilantro, too! And you can’t have a taco bowl without guac, right?! Luckily, most fresh guacamole is already Whole30 compliant, but this recipe is for a super simple version. Takes no time at all!
How To Make This Whole30 Taco Bowl with Chicken
1.5 lbs boneless skinless chicken breasts
16 oz jar of your favorite salsa
1 pepper, thinly sliced
1 onion, thinly sliced
12 oz bag of frozen cauliflower rice
1 tbsp cilantro, chopped
1 tbsp olive oil
pinch of red pepper flakes
salt and pepper
1-2 tbsp red onion, finely diced
1/3 cup cherry or grape tomatoes
1. Add your chicken and jar of salsa to your crock pot. Cook on high for 3-4 hours.
2. Thinly slice peppers and onions. Add 1/2 tbsp olive oil to a pan. Cook the peppers and onions for about 5 minutes over medium heat, until they are tender.
3. When the chicken is cooked, shred it up and then stir the cooked peppers and onions into the shredded chicken.
4. In the same pan that you used to cook the peppers and onions, add another 1/2 tbsp olive oil. Add the bag of frozen cauliflower rice and cook until everything has defrosted and the rice is hot. Turn off the heat, and squeeze the juice of 1 lime on top and stir in the chopped cilantro. Season with salt and pepper.
5. To make the guacamole, mash up one ripe avocado in a bowl. Add chopped tomatoes, red onion, and the juice of your other lime. Season with salt and pepper to taste.
6. All that’s left is the assembly! Add cauliflower rice first, then top with the chicken and peppers mixture, and guacamole.
Other Healthy Variations
If you aren’t doing Whole30, there are a lot of other variations. that are still super healthy!
Don’t love cauliflower rice? Make regular rice instead! I always have brown rice on hand and it works great.
Looking for something in between cauliflower rice and brown rice? Quinoa is SO delicious with these flavors, and jam packed with nutrients.
Adam and I are big fans of black beans with red pepper flakes and garlic, and we often add that to these bowls. So yummy!
I mean… shredded cheese will always be delicious on taco bowls. DUH.
[mv_create key=”119″ thumbnail=”https://www.lakeshorelady.com/wp-content/uploads/2021/02/whole30-chicken-taco-bowl-15.jpg” title=”Whole30 Taco Bowl with Chicken” type=”recipe”]